Movies that I can watch again and again! (Indian Cinema)

I decided to revisit this post and add/edit my list. Because favourites can be many but there are some movies that you can watch countless times. Here is the list of my personal favorite  Indian Movies (not in any particular order) that I can watch again and again:

Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (DDLJ) - Genre- Romantic

Being a hopeless romantic at heart, it would be hard not to love this movie. The plot is very typical - boy meets girl, both fall in love, girl's father disapproves but everything falls in place in the end.

Regressive, yes, but there is something very refreshing about this movie even now, though it is almost two decades old. The mustard fields, Switzerland backdrop, beautiful songs and of-course great ensemble cast. I still laugh, cry, hum the tunes whenever I watch it. 

Jab We Met - Genre- Romantic

After a really really really long time, I saw a good a romantic Bollywood movie in the form of Jab We Met. I love Imtiaz Ali, the director of Jab We Met. I like how he treats his stories. Very normal, real characters and beautiful simple story. I am his fan since I saw Socha Na Tha - starring Ayesha Takia and Abhay Deol.

The main leads Geet (Kareena Kapoor) and Aditya (Shahid Kapur) are poles apart. He is a cautious, go-by-the-rules, serious man. Whereas she is happy-go-lucky, loud and follows her heart kind of girl. What follows next, for that please watch it! :P

In the end I learned a lesson, that being too serious and being too footloose is not going to help. There has to be a balance.

Life in a ..Metro - Genre- Drama

This movie hit me really hard. I wasn't expecting it to be good, when I watched it for the first time. But I loved it and now watch it every time it is played on television. This movie is an example of how a great script is all that matters and no matter how small is the role, if the character is effective, people will remember it.

The film has a huge cast but by the end of the movie you will remember each one of them. The characters are very close to reality like a lonely wife who left her career to take care of her family, a cheating husband, a girl who always falls in love with the wrong guy, a 30 year old unmarried woman struggling with being single, two lovers who reunite after several decades and rediscover their love for each other, a man trying to make his mark and is willing to do just about anything to achieve his dreams and many more. All the parallel stories are beautifully woven together without getting crowded or lost. Excellently made movie with an equally excellent acting. Love it!

Chupke Chupke - Genre- Comedy

A sweet, funny, interesting and unadulterated comedy film by Hrishikesh Mukherjee.

Almost 15 years back, I visited my grandmother, who lives in a village up north. There, people get up at 5 in the morning and sleep by 7 in the evening. And for someone like me, who has grown up in a city where people don't sleep before 10-11 in the night, it was hard to deal with the village culture. I remember getting bored as there was no cable TV there. Just two national channels. To kill our boredom, me and my brother along with our cousins used to watch anything played on those two channels, even if it was not even remotely interesting. So one Friday night, they were showing Chupke Chupke on television. We started watching, first out of no choice but later we started enjoying the movie. And now it is one my favorites. It relaxes you and is so refreshing. The characters do not mouth double-meaning below-the-belt dialogues but still they manage to make you laugh and uplift your mood. If not for my visit to the village, I may have never seen the movie. I am glad I did!

Hera Pheri - Genre- Comedy

The plot is "Three unemployed men find the answer to all their money problems when they recieve a call from a kidnapper. However, things do not go as planned... " -- Source IMDB.

Paresh Rawal's superb comic timing is what made this movie so hilarious. Filled with moments that will give you stomach ache because you are going to laugh so hard. A classic comedy movie that never fails to tickle the funny bones. Watch it for Paresh Rawal!

Hum Aapke Hain Kaun - Genre- Romantic/Drama

Again, very regressive but still sweet. The characters are too good to be true; a typical Rajshri Productions movie. But still I love it as I grew up watching it. I was a big fan of Salman Khan and he is adorable in this movie. I love every part of it, the romance, song-dance, tragic turn, drama, tears and happy ending.

A little trivia - This film is a remake of a Bhojpuri film 'Nadiya ke Paar', which was also made by Rajshri Productions. Co-incidentally, the Bhojpuri version is my mom's favourite! :)



Monsoon Wedding - Genre - Drama

I debated for long on whether I should include this movie in Indian Cinema category or not, as this movie is in English and is made by Mira Nair, an NRI settled in New York. But in the end I felt that this movie revolves around everything so Indian, so what if its in English!

I must have seen many Bollywood movies, in which marriage is the central plot. But no movie, believe me no movie has ever managed to capture the essence of a real-typical Indian wedding in the way Mira Nair has done in Monsoon Wedding. It is because the movie not only shows the fun part of a wedding but also brings forth the stressful part like all the goofups while preparation, arrange marriage beliefs, bruised egos, hidden secrets, dealing with relatives, flirting, fighting and RAINS! Wow! This movie is a real treat to watch..

8. Rehna Hain Tere Dil Mein - Genre - Drama/Romance

RHTDM was a flop when it had released almost 13 years back. But now it is one of the most loved romantic movie, giving it a cult status. I guess excellent supporting cast, songs and an unconventional hero - R. Madhavan are the reasons for it to garner so much attention after it failed on the box office. Although now that I am older and wiser, I do have a problem with the story that involves stalking, lying and impersonating, which is glorified and portrayed as 'romantic' in some films. Yet I can't deny that I watch it every single time when it is played on TV.  :D And I absolutely love the songs.




Saathiya - Genre - Drama/Romance


Beautiful story by Mani Ratnam, realistic setting, lovely songs, Gulzaar Saab's dialogues and amazing acting by each of its cast members - that's Saathiya for me. The story is 'The tale of a young couple in love who elope and marry, but soon find that that marriage is not the bed of roses it is made out to be. - IMDB.' Love it!!

 


Comments

Popular Posts