Book Review - A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Book Review -  A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Published - 2007 by Riverhead 
Rating- 3.5/5

After reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, I picked up his next book - A Thousand Splendid Suns. Both the books made me cry in places. A sign that the writer managed to get me involved and engrossed in the story through his imagination and clever use of words. 

A Thousand Splendid Suns takes you through the 1970s to the post 9/11 Afghanistan touching upon the condition of women and kids around that time, in particular. The book is about Mariam and Laila, two Afghani women living in a war stricken country. Mariam is docile and quite whereas Laila is fiery and bold. The book opens up with Mariam's story, where Laila only makes a tiny appearance. As the story progresses the focus shifts to Laila's life and Mariam takes a backseat but still stays around in the background. But towards the last part, Laila and Mariam's life intertwines, thus creating a bond for life.

The story is in itself is very powerful, raw, disturbing and impactful. It made me value my life more. It made me grateful that I live in a country where I can laugh without worrying about getting whipped. My heart goes out to those who had to go through hell during wars and conflicts and are still going through it in many parts of the world. 

Worth a read. 

Comments

Popular Posts