Bookish Tuesdays - Book Review - The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

Book Review - The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez
Published -  February 1996 by Penguin Books
Rating- 3/5

Summary -  Source: Goodreads.com

This is Marquez's account of a real-life event. In 1955, eight crew members of the destroyer Caldas, were swept into the Caribbean Sea. The sole survivor, Luis Alejandro Belasco, told the true version of the events to Marquez, causing great scandal at the time.

 
My Copy


My thoughts on the book... 

Having heard a lot about Colombian novelist and Nobel laureate, Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez, I wanted to read his work. I picked The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor on my last visit to Crosswords bookstore as it was the thinnest out of all. 

Popular classic literature books deserve all the praise but I find them difficult to read. Specially the ones with 500 and above pages. Don't blame me -I am a late bloomer and not a literature graduate. :D

So this book was perfect for me. 

A book that was only 106 pages long, I don't wish to write a lengthy review.

It's a survival story of a young Colombian sailor named Luis Alejandro Velasco. Márquez masterfully narrates Velasco's 10 day ordeal on a raft in the Caribbean Sea without fresh water & food and with sharks for company. 

As readers we already know he survived. But 'how' is what's intriguing and that urged me to turn the pages chapter after chapter. 

 All in all:
  • Easy breezy read
  • Gripping
  • Inspiring story that proves that human's survival instinct is a very powerful force  
If you are a fan of real survival stories, then you must pick this book.


Happy reading!

Comments

Popular Posts