The Day When I Burned my Feet - Nostalgia #4



In one of my previous posts about Nostalgia, I expressed my desire to revisit some memories that evokes strong emotions in me and are special. Click here to read the Nostalgia series

---------***----------------------***----------------------***---------
It was a hot sunny day. I wanted to see my cousin sister's wedding venue. All the other kids who had already been to the venue agreed to take me there. As I stepped out I noticed that my slippers were missing. It wasn't surprising. For some reason the guests were comfortable wearing anyone's footwear as and when it pleased them. There was also no guarantee that you will get it back. :D If Ms. X wore Ms. Y's slippers. Then Y will select from the remaining ones lying around to wear. 


My bad luck was that my feet are big and wide. So none of the average/regular women's footwear fit me. And wearing men's was out of option since it'll be obvious that I 'borrowed' someone else's. So there I was scratching my head wondering what to do. Just then one of the kids said, "The venue is not very far. Hardly 10 minutes distance. You can come without your slippers." I was pleased and instantly agreed. Little did I know what I had agreed to. :D

We started walking. 5 minutes. 10 minutes. 15 minutes. And the venue was nowhere in sight. As I mentioned it was super hot and dry. The asphalt road was burning!! I asked them "how far it is now?". Pat came the reply, "Just around the corner. Another 5 minutes and we will be there."

20 minutes. 25 minutes. 30 minutes. And we were still walking. I swear on chocolates and pizza and bread, by then I was sincerely hoping that it was a dream and any moment I will wake up. I am not exaggerating. I was honestly praying that 'God please let this be a dream' and was believing that this is not real. The soles of my feet were on fire and there was not a single cool spot under a shade that I could get some relief from. 

Since I no longer trusted their promise of 'just 5 more minutes', I told the kids "you all enjoy the venue, I am going back." And I ran towards my aunt's house as fast I could. As soon as I reached, I rushed to the washroom and put my feet under cool running water. Ohh! It felt so gooood. I can never forget the relief of cool water washing my burning feet!

I still don't know if they did it on purpose or it was plain ignorance. But I learned couple of things. Don't blindly trust just one person when asking for directions and distance of destination. And don't never ever step out without your footwear!! Lol! :D

Comments

Popular Posts