Blast from the past: My Fashion Faux Pas!

We all experiment with fashion in our own little way. But the fact is  not every trend suits everybody.  I have made some blunders too while growing up. So here are some fashion faux pas as they say, I made in my teens.         



Parallel pants- In my times (I sound so old!) the style experts were the local tailors. We relied on them heavily to get an update on latest tips and trends. On one such visit, my tailor suggested I should get 'pyarelal' pants stitched to be worn over short kurti. (It took some time to figure out he meant 'parallel' wide bottom pants. LOL!) They look great on others when worn with shirts or loose blouse. But it looked horrible on me especially with those side slits. Also I have lost the number of times I tripped in them and made a fool of myself! :D

Same Same- I don't know why I wanted my friends to wear exactly what I was  wearing..or wanted to copy what they are. Once me and my 2 friends bought the same print dress in 3 different colours. Me in green and they in blue and orange. Yeah..colours of Indian flag! And we all used to wear it on the same day and walked as if we owned the world. :D Needless to say people stared at us not in awe for sure. My love for 'same-same' clothes was so much that on our school send off I wanted my best friend to wear the same saree as mine. But luckily she had brains and didn't. :P

Stretchy slacks - Now known as tights or jeggings, it were called slacks then. And I had loads of it. But they always ended up being too short for me. So they hiked up, flared around the ankles after a few washes and looked funny. Yet I wore them!                         
                                     
Matching Matching  -Yes, matching top, salwar, duppata, jewellery, hairband, watch, bag!! One image that stands out is me in pink polka dot dress with pink heart shaped earrings and pink heart shaped locket with a pink bag!! LOL!

Ill fitted inner-wear - This is the biggest faux pas anyone can make. Wearing ill fitted inner wear is a crime. Only recently I realized the importance of investing in good lingerie and started wearing the right ones. Earlier I would blindly wear even when it was too tight, too loose and wrong shape.         

Unflattering fabrics  - Satin, corduroy and velvet are a strict no-no for me now! On its own they are beautiful fabrics.  But on my body type they are disasters which I took time to figure out! :D          



I am sure I will keep adding many more in this list till I die! But who cares?! :D

Comments

Popular Posts