Sour Gulab Jamuns! Nostalgia #6



In one of my previous posts about Nostalgia, I expressed my desire to revisit some memories that evokes strong emotions in me and are special. Click here to read the Nostalgia series

---------***----------------------***----------------------***---------
Gulab Jamuns?? No. Img Source: www.nutsnspices.in
It so happened that two weddings were going to take place around the same time (just a day or two apart) in my extended family. One was on my dad's side (his brother's daughter) and the other on my mom's side (her cousin brother's daughter).  So while my Dad, brother and me headed to my paternal uncle's side in Jaunpur, mom headed straight to maternal uncle's daughter's wedding. Phew! 

It was a task to remember and get the relationships right while writing. Reminded me of CAT Verbal Reasoning Blood Relation Test!!! Lol!

Anyway moving on.  

So the plan was, after staying for few days in my aunt's house, I  was supposed to leave with an uncle for my mom's maternal house, attend the wedding there, and travel back with mom to Jaunpur for my other cousin's wedding. But I refused to leave as I was having too much fun in my aunt's house. When my mom came back, she was very pissed as I didn't follow the 'plan'! Anyway, after the wedding I was forced to go to my maternal grandparents' (nana, nani) house without parents or brother. I remember crying and crying and asking her not to send me. But she didn't listen. Very early morning after gulping a fizz-free cold drink, I left.

After a bumpy ride on a motorcycle, sandwiched between two uncles, I reached my nani's house. As soon as I entered, I was filled with dread just looking at the number of people gawking at me. I can understand they were eager to meet. But for an introvert shy person like me, a large number of people looking at them can be very unsettling. So I ran to the terrace. It was scorching hot and the sun was blazing. Not an ideal time to sun bathe on the terrace. But I just wanted to escape.

Few minutes later my cousin sister came on the terrace with water and some sweets. I love sweets. Of all kinds. So I instantly cheered up and couldn't wait to gobble them. They looked like gulab jamuns to me! I picked one and put the whole thing in my mouth. The anticipation of soft, sweet, syrupy gulab jamuns was punctured by sour taste that hit my palate. I wondered what this chewy, tangy thing was disguised in the shape of yummy gulab jamuns. They were Amla Murabba (candied gooseberry) !!!! 

The murabba looked exactly like them. Agreed, the syrup was too sticky and the texture a little coarse, but I thought this is how gulab jamuns look in this part of the country. :D Plus I had never heard, seen or eaten amla murrabba in my entire life.

I ditched the initial plan of eating all and ate just one. Lol! It's funny now, though it wasn't funny then. This memory of my introduction to the world of Murabbas stand out. Hahaha

Comments

Popular Posts