Bael Tree - Nostalgia #5



In one of my previous posts about Nostalgia, I expressed my desire to revisit some memories that evokes strong emotions in me and are special. Click here to read the Nostalgia series

---------***----------------------***----------------------***---------


During those times, soft drinks (often called thanda), orange or mango flavoured rasna and aromatic rose flavoured drink rooh-afza were the beverages that were served to guests mostly. I assumed the glass offered to me was filled with either of the three. But no. It was something sweet, little citrusy and fibrous. It was something different. Turns out it was bael juice. 

Bael Fruit
I was intrigued by this fruit that I had never heard, seen or read about. Somebody directed me to the bagicha right opposite the bungalow and pointed towards the tall bael trees. The fruit looks like a small muskmelon or a big sweet-lime from a distance, but it has a hard & rough shell. Once cracked open, the fruit is orange and a flower or lotus stem like pattern is what you see. 

It is supposed to be very good for health with 'digestive and anti-inflammatory properties'. But all I know that its taste is distinct. Maybe because I was never able to get my hands on this fruit in my city. Packaged bael juice, murraba, or candy is available in many ayurvedic stores but not the whole fruit.

The countless glasses of that juice that I had in my aunt's house during the entire wedding stay was the first and last time I had it. Perhaps everything I did or ate then got linked with the happy memories of my holiday. 

That's why perhaps every time I walk by a vegetables/fruit market, I look for Bael fruit. :)


Comments

Popular Posts