Happy Fatty Diwali! :D :P

No matter how much I try, no matter how many resolutions I make, I just can't stop myself hogging like a pig during Diwali! Haha. So this year was no different. I ate and am still eating sweets and snacks to the point that I feel sick. But no, I won't stop! :P

We normally buy ready-made munchies and sweets from stores but this year I decided to make something at home. I made salty Namak paras & Puris and Coconut Ladoos a day before Diwali. 




Namak paras & puris are salty, crispy, lightly spiced savoury snacks made from maida/refined flour.  It didn't take much time to make the dough nor it needed any fancy ingredients. But it took at least 3 hours to roll them out and fry. Phew! You need:

2 1/2 cups Maida/All purpose flour/Refined flour
1 cup Wheat flour
1 tsp Chilli powder
1 tsp Ajwain/Carom seeds
3 tbsp Oil + for frying
Salt to taste
Crushed pepper to taste 
Water as needed.

Make a stiff  dough by mixing all the ingredients except oil needed for frying. :D Roll them out in round chapatis, cut in desired shapes (I used the same dough to make diamond shaped pares and round puris). Prick with fork (to avoid them from puffing up) and deep fry in batches in hot oil. Drain on paper napkins and cool before storing in an air tight container. Done!

Moving on to Coconut Ladoos. They were super quick and easy to make and tasted absolutely yummy. What more, you need only 2 things! 

1 (400 grams) tin of Milkmaid  
250 grams dessicated coconut

In a thick bottom pan, pour Milkmaid and add coconut. Heat it on medium-high flame. As soon as its heated, reduce the flame to low and stir it for about 5 minutes till it reaches a soft dough like consistency. Cool and shape it in form of round ladoos. You can grease your palm with ghee or butter for shaping balls effortlessly. Done!




Comments

Popular Posts